Open | London
Posted: 30/03/21 | Deadline: 19/04/21
Library of Things is looking for someone to lead its team of 13 and local partners to successfully launch and oversee our affordable item borrowing and skills-sharing service in tens of UK neighbourhoods.
- An experienced operational leader, with 5+ years of hands-on experience growing a business with physical assets – for example a retail or logistics franchise?
- Entrepreneurial & able to rally teams to develop and deliver on multiple project timelines and budgets?
- Strategic and future thinking – at home setting up templates and systems?
- Energised by holding relationships with a range of people, whether community networks, local spaces or councils?
- A clear and inclusive communicator – listening attentively, being transparent on the details, ensuring everyone feels included and not afraid of difficult conversations?
- Looking for a fresh challenge at an exciting mission-led organisation?
About Library of Things:
Library of Things (LoT) is a social enterprise that helps people save money and reduce waste by affordably renting out items like drills, sound systems and sewing machines from self-serve kiosks in local spaces – and by helping neighbours share skills like DIY and repair. Now with three sites open, Library of Things is expanding to multiple neighbourhoods in the London region – in partnership with councils and community partners. Pending pandemic restrictions, the next twelve months will see LoT launch in at least seven more locations in London and beyond. The Regional Lead will work closely with the team of co-founders, who secure new partners, locations and funds, plus the Marketing and Operations Leads, who train and support local teams to promote borrowing and supply/maintain items.
What you’ll be doing:
You’ll be responsible for ensuring that Library of Things sites launch on time, within budget and perform well over time. Throughout, you’ll ensure the process is joyful and collaborative for LoT’s team and partners.
Holding overall responsibility for launching new sites – on time, within budget & with good performance over time.
In each location you will:
- Work with co-founders to scope the best space partners in a new neighbourhood
- Lead the team and partners to agree and manage a detailed launch plan, timeline and budget
- Support the Marketing & Operations teams by project managing the recruitment process for local roles (training led by other team members)
- Support the Hardware Lead to make sure space partners prepare the space for a LoT borrowing kiosk and keep installations stress-free
Holding partner relationships & overseeing performance at existing sites
- Once sites are launched, work with team and partners to oversee sales and impact across sites, seeking entrepreneurial ways to boost borrowing if necessary
- Ensure biannual sales and impact reports are sent to local partners
- Proactively seek feedback from local partners and ensure it’s acted on
Leading the replication strategy
- Iterate LoT’s replication strategy in a way that balances the mission and the business needs – gathering input from team, partners and wider stakeholders
- Develop processes that might not exist yet, recommend tools and test-drive them to ensure team and partner buy-in
- Ensure the strategy is transparently communicated and reported on to all stakeholders, eg. updating our public roadmap, sending regular update emails to stakeholders, sharing weekly updates in team meetings etc
- Contribute positively to our culture of inclusive, collaborative, joyful group work through tools like Slack, Google Drive and Airtable
Library of Things is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds – men, women and non-binary, people of all ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, religions and beliefs. However, we particularly encourage applications from disabled and black, asian and minority ethnic candidates, as these groups are underrepresented in the sustainable development sector.
Any questions? Want a short call to find out more?
Get in touch with Partnerships Director Rebecca on firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications
10am, Monday 19th April 2021
- Based in London
- 5+ years of hands-on experience growing a business with physical assets (eg. a retail or logistics franchise)
- Experience of working with multidisciplinary teams
- Evidence of interest in environmental and/or community impact
- If selected, be available for an online interview on either 21st or 22nd April
- Start date: w/c May 17th (ideal, not essential)
- Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK
- Remuneration: up to £40,000 a year depending on experience (please note this is a PAYE contract)
- Time commitment: 4-5 days per week and work hours can be flexible
- Location: Remote or from our HQ in Brixton (when it is safe to do so). Weekly travel to sites across and outside of London.
- Contract: 12-months fixed term rolling contract, with a 4-month probation period.
- Holiday: 25 days pro rata annual holiday allowance plus bank holidays
- Other perks: share options scheme, discounts on borrowing
Library of Things
Library of Things is on a mission to make borrowing better than buying.