Closed | London, Part time
Community Activator (Kentish Town)
Posted: 25/03/21 | Deadline: 06/04/21
Library of Things is coming to Kentish Town! We’re looking for an energetic, self-reliant Community Activator to work with our brilliant Marketing & Events team and local partners to get local people to borrow items like drills, sound systems & sewing machines – rather than buy them. This is ideal for someone self-employed and is not a PAYE contract. We expect this to take up to 12h/week.
Promote Library of Things:
Recruit local people to borrow from Kentish Town Library of Things through dynamic and vibrant community marketing.
- Use social media & local forums to spread the word about Kentish Town Library of Things catalogue and activities
- Have a strong off-line outreach strategy in the neighbourhood eg. through posters, flyers, local events etc
- Over time, co-create a strong community marketing strategy with other team members
- Connect Kentish Town Library of Things to community networks by building relationships with local groups and working with them to make sure a diverse audience of people find out about borrowing
Be available as a Library of Things point of contact both in the Kentish Town area and with the LoT team:
- Regularly check-in with our partners to share any successes & challenges
- Join a weekly supervision call with Community Facilitator & Marketing Leads – including ongoing training
- Join regular socials and peer-learning with Community Activator peers
- Keep in touch with LoT team through slack and other forums
Potential additional work
- Depending on funding availability and COVID-19 safety requirements, the Community Activator may organise and promote local skill-sharing events eg. repair parties, mending meetups etc.
- Lives, works, or is well connected to Kentish Town
- Is at ease using social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Able to work independently
- Comfortable with the idea of community marketing and outreach
- Excited by the Library of Things concept
- Is enterprising and able to work to a budget
- Has strong verbal and written communication skills
- Is happy talking to just about anyone
- Is good at listening and open to feedback
- Has experience of working with marginalised communities
- Has done community engagement work before
Library of Things is an equal opportunity employer. We aim at all times to recruit the person who is most suited to the job and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds – men, women and non-binary, people of all ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, religions and beliefs. However, we particularly encourage applications from disabled and racially marginalised candidates, as these groups are underrepresented in the sustainable development sector.
Hours: 12h/week. The role may include some weekend and evening hours.
Location: Around 262-266 Kentish Town Rd, Kentish Town NW5 2AA and remote.
Duration: Monthly rolling contract (up to a maximum of 24 months)
Eligibility: Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK
Library of Things
Library of Things is on a mission to make borrowing better than buying.